Ben Hunt's newsletter
Subscribe to my newsletter to stay updated on what I'm doing and thinking about in web design/development.
Quick, easy and cute content management
CMS from Scratch is a quick, easy, and
affordable FREE solution that lets web designers give their customers a web site they can edit themselves.
It is now also an OPEN SOURCE project, so you can use the source PHP scripts for FREE. See the project at Google Code.
New - Clicss templates for CMS from Scratch
Get a beautiful website template with CMSfS pre-installed
Clicss is now offering a selection of website templates with CMS from Scratch fully integrated. This makes setting up your website even easier!
The CMS is already fully set up, with all the includes you need to create a fully-functional website.Browse Clicss CMS packages »
Simple to use
- No database
- No programming knowledge
- Super-quick to install and set up
- Quick & simple AJAX-powered interface
Specifically designed for
- web designers and developers
- who understand some HTML
- who need to create sites very rapidly
- that can be easily & quickly updated by clients with minimal training
We know this because we built it for ourselves and our own customers. It has worked so well for us, we want to share it with you.
CMS from Scratch is both simple and smart. Once you've grasped how it works, you can make an existing web site client-editable in under an hour!
- There are 2 user accounts: Designer (that's you) and Client (your client).
- Designer creates Pages in the CMS, then identifies sections that are client-editable and creates these as Includes.
- There are 3 types of Includes: plain text, HTML and Sets (which are like flexible tables for content that follows a pattern).
- Editor logs in with their own password and can only change the content of Includes, but can't mess up the structure of the site.
- After editing an Include, pages can be previewed before the changes are put live.
04 February 2007
- CMS from Scratch is now a free-to-use open-source project! See the Google Code project for downloads & community stuff.
09 November 2007
- Implemented the latest FCK editor. Browsing for links & images works perfectly
- Fixed bug: "Save & continue" now causes "< restore" & "publish >" links to appear
- Fixed inline links to help
01 November 2007
- Fixed various small bugs, particuarly for IE6
- You can now add custom tabs to the CMS UI... details to follow soon.
04 September 2007
- Fix for language error in rich text editor
- Clients now will not see any Folder or Include that begins with the letter "x"
The sheer elegance and simplicity of CMSfromscratch combined with unparalleled levels of hands-on support we received from Ben made our first implementation a breeze!
The result has impressed our demanding client thoroughly. We will definitely be using CMSfromscratch again in many more of our projects.
CMSFS is THE BEST SUITED CMS for DEVELOPERS. I simply love it.
CMS from Scratch seems like it's almost perfect, simple and easy to use.
CMS from Scratch has a powerful but incredibly easy-to-use AJAX user interface that anyone can learn in minutes. Quickly create 3 types of content Includes and drop them into your source code with easy tags.
- Just a basic familiarity with HTML
- Web hosting running PHP 4.3 or higher and ionCube extensions
- IE6, IE7 or Firefox on Windows or Firefox on Mac
White-label User Guide for your Customers
We want you to get all the credit for giving your customers this great system, so it's completely white-labeled.
We've even provided a generic user guide for Editors that you can customise, re-brand, and provide to your customers.
For time-critical commercial projects, we can provide development support and training. Contact Scratchmedia for details.
For everyone else, please use the CMS from Scratch dedicated support forum on Scratch Web Design Forums.